Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Shadows and light

Last night, my girlfriend looked at me, pierced through me and spoke straight to my heart. In ways that challenged and chastised me, she spoke out of a love that only comes from a relationship with Christ and an ability to hear His voice. It was both scary and amazing. Scary because it again proves that God can absolutely use whomever he wants to speak truth whenever he wants, and amazing because it shows a love that is completely incomprehensible. Her expression of love got me thinking about how Christ continually manifests himself in my life.

The past few weeks have been exceptionally rough for me, and I have been fighting through varying waves of depression. Now, don't worry, nothing drastic is on the horizon for me as far as my response to this sense of depression, but it's definitely been there, hovering just above me and keeping me from being wholly effective in much of anything that I do. So, as I always have done in the past, I sought escapes from the reality of the dark life I felt I was experiencing. I sought alternative realities to the one I was living daily, knowing these were false hopes, but wanting, needing, the escape, even if just for an hour or two. As it always does, it proved unfruitful and only served to drive a wedge between God and I as I was running away from Him as opposed to heading towards Him.

Throughout the course of this time, God has again and again reached out His hand through His people to speak life to me, and in the most unlikely of ways. A friend with whom I seldom talk about the issues of my life called me out of the blue to speak a very specific prophetic word to me about my situation, good friends call and text for no reason, messages at church are seemingly targeted directly towards me, and on and on the list goes- God is after my heart and if I am able to step back for a moment, I see how beautiful that pursuit is. I see how masterfully God is orchestrating encounter after encounter so that I will know that I am not alone. I see how seemingly meaningless words suddenly take on a level of comfort that they otherwise would not have had. I see how love is being proved tangible in my life. Though this is one of my "dark nights of the soul," I still see how God is very evidently at work in everything, not in the way that things are necessarily and immediately getting better, but in the way that in the midst of the night God is there as a guiding light. It's like Psalm 119 says, that Jesus "is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path." It's not that the sky is suddenly illumined and all vestiges of darkness flee, but rather that, in the midst of the darkness, in the midst of that which would cause me to stumble, fall, and feel pain, God is there ensuring that I have just enough light to not give up, just enough to know that there is a hope of further light because of the glimmer that I now see.

My brother recently said something extremely profound to me. In talking about Psalm 23, he commented on the passage in verse 4 where the psalmist writes that even in the valley of the shadow of death, he will not be afraid. Anyone that has been involved in Christianity for any length of time has undoubtedly heard this scripture, and what is all too often focused on is that death is nothing to be afraid of because the overarching theme is that God's got your back. But I think there's another underlying message in that scripture- that of the shadow. Dictionary.com defines shadow as "
a dark figure or image cast on the ground or some surface by a body intercepting light." And in that is God's bigger promise in the passage. This shadow of death can only exist because death, in all its powerlessness can only show itself evident in this valley because it has intercepted light. John 9:5 says that Christ is the "light of the world," so any shade of darkness, any shadow, can only exist because He allows it. Shadows are only places where the light is not yet bright enough to fully dispel the darkness- so it is true of my life. These shadows that sometimes seem so frightening because I feel as if I am living in them, are really nothing more than harbingers of Christ not yet fully revealed in a situation in my life. God's constant responses in love through friends, and sermons, sunrises and scripture are His attempts to remind me that the light in whatever area of my life seems darkest is more than just on its way, it is already there and providing hope of a brighter day when shadows cease and light dawns full upon my heart. The dark night of the soul is indicative of, not an end, but rather a beginning that has yet to, and is in the process of emerging.

Yeah, this is how I process- I write. Thanks for walking through the journey with me and for always listening to and reading the musings of a man who continues to wrestle with grace and purpose.


image sourced from fineartamerica.com

5 comments:

Laura Elizabeth said...

Love this, D!! So lovely and honest. Keep your chin up, kid. You're an inspiration. Love you!

Becky said...

I Just read your blog and this entry is wonderful. I am bi-polar and while the depression part of that still is the hardest to overcome, I realized about 8 months back that every dark day is the start of GOD drawing me closer to Him and me letting go of something that is nothing more then a mirage of failure. The part about psalm 23 really spoke to me. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this link, but unfortunately it seems to be offline... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please answer to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at damany.blogspot.com could post it.

Thanks,
Charlie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the link, but argg it seems to be down... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please reply to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if someone here at damany.blogspot.com could repost it.

Thanks,
Peter

Anonymous said...

I've ever liked things like sand clocks, lava lamps, and the like to well-wishing of rightful fritter away space staring at it as a formality of catharsis. In a way, it helps me with meditation, to relieve stress and just assume about nothing. That's why since I was a kid, instead of dolls and cars I've in any case sedate more of such pieces like sand clocks, lava lamps, tuneful boxes etc. So I was most charmed when I start the[url=http://www.dealtoworld.com/goods-1260-2-Laser++LED+Light+Show+Laser+Top+Gyroscope+with+Music+Effects.html] 2-Laser + LED Inconsiderable Appear Laser Ace Gyroscope with Music Effects[/url] from DealtoWorld.com under the aegis the Toys section. It's like a tuneful caddy, a spinning head, and a radiance divulge all rolled into one. Which is prodigious entertainment! The gyroscope will spin object of around a minute. The laser explanation display with accompanying music makes this gyroscope a measure corresponding exactly toy that my friends be subjected to also been most amused with.

My dogs are also beautiful curious prevalent the laser gyroscope I got from DealtoWorld.com. They always follow the gyroscope as it spins, although at earliest they kept barking at the laser light accompany, and also because it produces music. But after they got worn it, they've stopped barking but just keep following the gyroscope whenever I start spinning it. Kids are also unbelievably amused by it. On occasion it's moral to maintain entertaining toys on all sides the lineage so that you can pull out the diminutive on while the kids are being amused or playing with it while you live fit out food or sock changed. The gyroscope is unified such play with with this purpose.

The gyroscope I bought from DealtoWorld.com has a dragon as a design on it, and produces a dainty accompany with red, obscene, and green colours. Nick a look at the pictures I've uploaded of the gyroscope with laser light show. The music produced from the gyroscope is not that expert but facts sufficiency to treat any chic roomer to the house. The gyroscope is red and negro, making it look particular cold, and slightly arrogant with that dragon imprint.

The music flare show gyroscope runs on 6 LR44 batteries, which are replaceable anyway. I've also used this gyroscope to surprise my girlfriend during our anniversary celebration. I did the cheesy matter of decorating the hotel room with roses and when I led her in, I started up the gyroscope as affectionately so that the laser light show produces a dreamed-up effect. I also had some battery operated candles so all the sunrise effects created a sort of dreamt-up atmosphere. She loved it, at near the way, to my relief. I also bought the candles from DealtoWorld.com. These days it seems to be my default shopping placement suitable all gifts and ideas for fancied occasions.

Since Christmas is coming, this laser go down make clear gyroscope can possibly be a talented Christmas favour seeking the toddler or methodical the mollycoddle! Alternatively, the gyroscope can simply be a polite reckoning to the ordinary Christmas decorations. I can take it as given placing it just about the Christmas tree and peradventure spinning it when guests reach in the house. Looks like [url=http://www.dealtoworld.com]DealtoWorld.com[/url] is getting my function anyway again!